It’s also been super cold, no wait it was springtime last weekend…annnnnd now it’s cold again. So I haven’t been quite sure what I wanted to make for you. So finally I decided on this: tuna salad with raisins and hard-boiled eggs! I call it Eggy Tuna Salad. I have a feeling your first reaction isn’t going to be all that great, its ok I’ll wait. Sound good yet? No? Well it may never actually sound good, but it tastes good and that’s all that matters.
[Prep: 20min / Cook: 5min / TOTAL: 25min
[4 small servings]
- 3 eggs, hard boiled, peeled, and roughly chopped
- 2 cans of tuna – in water or oil, your preference – drained
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 small bunch scallions, rinsed, roots and tops cut off and thinly chopped
- 1/3 cup, a few sprigs, of fresh parsley, rinsed and stemmed
- 6 large romaine leaves, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 6 kale leaves, rinsed, stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 small bunch spinach, about 1 cup packed, rinsed, stems picked off and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons water
- A few slices of bread, I used 1 slice per serving, toasted and cut in half
After the eggs have been boiled and are resting you can make the salad dressing. Using a mini food processor (you can do this by hand but you’ll need to mince or press the garlic and finely chop up the parsley first) add parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, water and spices. Pulse until parsley leaves are broken down.
Now onto the salad greens. After they have all been rinsed and stemmed where needed (only the stem of the kale really needs to be taken out), roughly chop up the spinach and romaine, finely chop the kale and thinly slice up the scallions. Add all, reserving about half of the sliced scallions, to a large mixing bowl and incorporate a few tablespoons of the salad dressing. Toss until well mixed.
In a small mixing bowl, incorporate the tuna, raisins, remaining scallions, 2 tablespoons of the salad dressing, a dash of salt, pepper, cayenne and curry powder. Mix well.
Put your toast into the oven/toaster and get started with peeling the cooled eggs. Once peeled chop them up into big chunks.
To assemble the salad, place the lightly dressed greens on the bottom of your serving platter, next the hard boiled eggs, and finished it off with the tuna salad. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the Eggy Tuna Salad. Slice up your toasted bread and enjoy!